Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Tugging on the insides

First I would like to congratulate my cousin and her family on the birth of their new baby! I'm thrilled for them.
But, my mother called tonight to tell me that the baby was here and I was thrilled. Em got on the phone so that my mother could tell her about the new baby. That of course brings up the same conversation over and over again.
About 6 years ago, while in nursing school, I got sick. I had a choice after 9 months of treatment that really wasn't a choice. Surgery or surgery. They were able to fix my problem. But the problem was that we would never be able to have any more children.
Emily doesn't understand why she is an only child. She wants to have brothers or sisters. We have talked about the fact that God said that all we needed in our family is one little girl. But listening to two of cousins being pregnant right now... well one now... is kinda hard.
I love babies. I would love to have another one. But the factory is closed. No more children.
Sure, we could adopt. We could, but it's so hard and there is something about it that I'm not that interested in. I like the idea of a simple natural act, bringing out a natural child. Plus, I have enough issues with Em and I know where she came from. Plus, we really can't afford it. So, Em will remain an only child.
Then again, I'm not really that interested in the late nights, early mornings or diapers again. So... I guess I'll just have to wait for grandchildren!

2 comments:

flyingace said...

I am sure C will let you borrow him any time he is screaming and cannot sleep!

Jenae C. said...

If she ever needs advice from a fellow only child, you have my number! Besides, its not all bad....daddy's girl? Spoiled? Yes, she will learn to appreciate the luxuries...I too hated growing up as an only child, but that's the way it was!