Saturday, March 21, 2009

It's too quiet... What are you doing?!

Emily got up and crawled into bed with me at some point after Brian left for work this morning. It's not that uncommon on a Saturday morning. She woke me up to change the television channel for her. I got her something to eat and laid back down. I must have dozed off. I woke up and it was quiet. Too quiet. You know that quiet. I called for her and she told me that she was in the bathroom. I got up and found her in the bathroom, standing by the sink with a pair of scissors in her hand. Okay. I left the scissors on the counter. That was my bad. But her hair was neatly piled in the garbage can. There was basically nothing left on her head. She cut her hair off.
The conversation goes like this.
Me (calmly) What are you doing?
Em (pause) I cut my hair.
Me (Still Calmly) Why?
Em I wanted to look like you.
I stopped here and looked at her. I had her turn around. It was short. It was really short in the bad. (How in the hell did she do such a good job in the back?)
Me Emily, you know that you shouldn't have cut your own hair.
Em. I know. It was bad of me. Don't be angry Mommy.
Me If you wanted short hair all you had to do was ask. You have an appointment to get your hair cut this afternoon.
Em Why can't I cut my hair? Why can't you cut it?

This then leads into the conversation about needing to go to school to learn to cut hair. I cut a few really odd long pieces, got her in the shower and called Daddy.
The hairdresser was able to fix it, do the degree that she could. There is one spot just above her bangs that is spikey. It's longer on one side than the other.
She's not going to be able to see a movie for at least 4 days. Plus... I had to tell her that she wouldn't have long hair again until she was at least 10. That put it in perspective for her.
Up side... Daddy has a much easier morning routine now!

2 comments:

Blade said...

The advantage of having boys I suppose... if I woke up and they had cut their hair.. great! I would just shave it clean off and I would be happy :P

K said...

I know that I shouldn't laugh but... hahahaha!! All little girls do it. Why? I have no idea. My father wouldn't talk to me for a week after I cut mine as a little girl. I hope you took pictures. The boys love hearing about stuff like that from when they were little because, you know, they're SO mature now (hahahaha).