Saturday, March 15, 2008

Yuck!!!

Monday is St. Patricks Day. Happy St. Patricks Day to you all.
My in laws are as Irish as you can get. Kathleen, Brian's mother came to America when she was 18. From the Northwest of Ireland, County Mayo. George, Brian's father, is first generation Irish-American. His father was from Ireland and his mother was from Scotland, but her parents moved from Ireland to Scotland.
So, St. Patricks Day is a big deal in the family. When Brian and I were together for our first St. Patrick's Day, I got a real education on what St. Patrick's DAy is like in Ireland, verus what it's like in America.
You get up and go to Mass. Most of the day. Then, you come home for a Ham dinner. Yup, I said ham. It's a lot like what we would do on Thanksgiving.
Kathleen will tell you she had never heard of corn beef until she came to the states. She does cook it, but I hate the stuff as does she. So we eat something else. The rest eat the corn beef.
But, did you know that there are snakes in Ireland? Some scholars think that St. Patrick really drove out the toads, since there are none on the island. The greek word for Toad is similar to the word for snake. The corn beef dinner is an Irish American tradition. The first pradae in the world was a St. Patricks Parade. St. Patrick used the shamrock, a three leafed clover to talk about the Holy Trinity.
So, we are going to the in-laws tomorrow and we are having corn beef and cabbage. Maybe I'll stop at Subway on my way and get something green to go with my Guiness!

No comments: