Saturday, May 3, 2008

It was a good time, but at the same time not a great reason for a visit.

Last week my cousin's lost their Grandmother. She lived in Cobleskill Ny which is about 65-70 miles north west of me. Brian, my parents and I went up on Thursday for the wake and I went with my mother and Emily today to visit. It seems like every one is going back to their homes tomorrow.
Emily is obsessed with death. We have not told her that Grandma Clist died last week. Emily won't understand and she will come up with the conculsion on her own soon enough. We didn't even tell her we were going up to the wake. She wouldn't understand why she could go. So when I told her Friday night that we were going up north Saturday to see her Aunt Chris and Uncle Mark she was thrilled. As I continued to explain that the rest of the family was there too, she became more and more estatic. She could bearly contain her excitement as we got closer and closer to the house.
In Cobleskill is a place called Howe Caverns. A natural cavern of some length. I was discribing it to my cousin in law Jim as the Grand Canyon with a roof. That's exactly what it looks like. It's dark and COLD and wet and tight.
I have claustrophobia. This was hard for me. Jim Courtney and I took Emily, Courtney's nephews Brandon and Gabe and Courtney's cousin's daughter Jesse. The boys loved it and I think Emily enjoyed herself too. I was thrilled to spend time with the bit of extended family that I don't get to see often. But it was really dark and small and really really scary for me.
Emily is usually afraid of the dark. They get you to a point in the cavern and turn off the lights. She did better than I did. I don't like it one bit. I don't like anything about the caverns, but it was fun to be with Jim and Court and the boys.
I really want to tell the Clist's once more that I am so sorry that this had to be the reason that we got together, but, I enjoyed our bit of time together. I miss you all and love you.
More hugs and kisses.

2 comments:

Jenae C. said...

Jeremy took me to Howe Caverns on Christmas Eve the year we went to visit grandma for Christmas. I remember hating the boat ride and I was really afraid that we were going to fall down a huge drop at the end!! Glad you had fun, and sorry that we had to miss out. Maybe we should all get together under some better circumstances and have some fun! Miss you!

hangel said...

You hid your fear well...and I had a great time. Thanks for coming all the way to Cobleskill and hanging out with us. It was soooo nice to see you and get to hang out for a little bit. Miss you!