Sunday, April 27, 2008

Work life runs into real life.

We went out to dinner last night with my parents and Brian's parents. I have been hearing about my father in law George's condition. He has these delusions for lack of better things to call it. I hadn't seen one until last night.
George and Kathleen were sitting at the bar at the resturant when we got there. Brian sat down and ordered a drink with his father for a moment. Brian told me later that his father asked him how Emily and the nephews were holding up. Brian questioned this and the conversation went to the delsusion that Brian and his brother in law John were kidnapped by the mafia and beat up. Brian assured his father that it didn't happen.
After dinner we went out for ice cream. Moments after my parents left, George became frantic that he needed to give my father money. At first I was thinking that he was just offering my father money for the ice cream, but no, he thought that my father needed money to set up the office we were supposedly building in our garage.
Once my in laws got home, the phone started ringing. My father in law wanted to call my father, to make sure that he understood that he was going to get his money and wouldn't be mad at George. It took a lot of convincing to get my father in law to understand that my father didn't ask for or need the money.
We aren't sure what is going on with George. One set of doctor's are convinced it's med related. One set think's it's something else. I think that George either has a progressive neurological disorder or that he's not getting enough oxygen through his corotid arteries to his brain. But he was due to have his corotids checked in May and no one will move it up. He's supposed to see a psychiatrist. My mother in law and sisters in law have come up with one. This guy screens his clients over the phone. You have to give the information to the office staff and then he calls you back. We are still waiting for that call. It's been 2 weeks.
I told Kathleen to call someone else.
This, of course, puts me in a funny position. I love George and I think that he needs a lot of help right now. But in the fashion that I have become used to, George is in denial that there is anything wrong and Kathleen can only do so much.
I get frustated when they call me to vent, to ask for advice, etc and I don't really feel like there is much being done. I would love nothing more than to walk into the house, grab the phone and not stop until there were appointments and answers.
The hardest thing is to try and keep the kids isolated from this. There is no way to explain this to them and they know something is going on. It's really hard. If mean, if he had a differnt kind of illness, like when his heart was bad, it was easier to to explain. Pop-pops heart is sick. But this is harder.
But on a lighter note, Emily spent the night before last at my parents. E-pa can't resist the puppy dog face. So, Saturday morning Em was sitting on my mother's bed, watching a movie, while my mother was sewing a jacket for Em. She was using the same fabric as on the pillow case on Em's pillow. Em went in to see what Nana was doing and when she saw the jacket had to ask if Nana had cut up her pillow. Mean while, Em had been sitting on her pillow on the bed.
Emily, a few weeks ago, at my mother's was telling mom and I about this pretend dog she had. A pink poodle named Schoonmaker ( the last name of my sister in law). When I was in Em's room a day or so later, I found in her pile of animals that she had a pink poodle. So, Schoonmaker exists. ANd has gone everywhere with us. And according to Em, it's really a whiney dog. She crys all the time and wants lots of attention.

No comments: