Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sticker Shock

It finally happened. My computer died. It had been difficult charging it for some time now and I wasn't sure if it was the battery or the port where you plug in the cable. So, when I couldn't get it to charge at all and was completely without a system, because the battery was so dead that I couldn't even boot it up enough for it to tell me that it was dead, I decided that it was time to take it to the Geek Squad.
Now, I hate Best Buy. The sales staff is rude, condisending, bunch of stupid geeks in the the bad way. I love the show Chuck and would love to find someone who works at the Geek Squad that is like Chuck. But, alas, it doesn't happen. I did however get a lovely girl who was very smart and nice. She took my laptop, did a few things and declared that there was nothing they could do for me. The system was dead.
So, needless to say, I needed to get a new computer. So, I went to the computer section and I was under sticker shock. It's been about five years since I bought my laptop and I paid enough for it. I was surprised that prices really haven't come down that much.
Well, I bought an Emachine which if I am not mistaken is an IBM product. It's going to be fine for what I need to do. Plus I have learned my lesson as I will need to pay someone to extract my hard drive from the other system and down load it to my system or jump drive or something. I will not be storing too much on this system. Everything will be on jump drives. Not going to loose everything again!
I have music, pictures, word docs... so much stuff.
So this is the first blog from the new system. It's fine so far.

2 comments:

Jenae C. said...

I have had an emachine PC for a few years now, and it has never had any major problems, every time something happens, Jeremy is able to fix it himself.

Blade said...

Haven't come down in price? Not sure what kind of deals your best buy had, but when I was in LA, I helped Lisa pick out a killer laptop for under 600 bucks. 15.4" screen, 3gig of ram, dual core processor etc.

Hardware is dirt cheap these days if you know where to look and watch for sales.