Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Been a while

I know, I know. It's been a while since I last posted, but it's been crazy. I know it's not a good enough excuse, but let me tell you abit about what has been going on here.
I was sick. Again. I had some sort of stomach thing. Trust me when I say it wasn't great. I seemed to have come down with it after Em's party. (Which was great. We all had a blast).
But the day after I went home from work sick, I went back to work only to be greated by my friends from the NYS Department of Health. Yeah!
We knew they coming. It's something we begin to work on harder than normal around Thanksgiving.
For those of you who have never been through a state inspection let me try and explain it to you. In order for our facility to state that we are regulated and live and strive to a certain standard, we are required to have annual inspections. This means the state sends in a team of 3-5 people to look through everything. And I mean everything. They make sure that I pass my medications correctly and to the letter of the rules ( which were written before I was born and are so grey that even a lawyer can't figure them out). They look at all our paperwork, all our charts, our personel paperwork, our water temperture, out food prep, out freezers, even how much salt we have in the salt shakers! There is nothing and I mean nothing that doesn't get the scrutiny of the inspectors. They have the ultimate say in if we stay open. They can shut us down in a second.
We are being watched the entire time. They ask us about decsions and other statements we made a year ago. It's hard to remember what has happened in that time. They ask what happened each and every time a resident falls. Why didn't we do this or that or why did we do what we did.
Now, ask yourself, a year ago a work you did X. Do you remember doing X? Do you remember if you did uvw first? Or did you do lmn? Did you still come to X? Now do that for about 50 or so people? Answer those questions. Then still take care of normal day to day operations, prepare for the next doctor day, order medications.... you get the idea. It's the least fun thing about my job.
In the past I have been through state inspections, JACHO inspections and the like. But, I was never anything more than a pawn. I was the one still working on the floor and maybe had to open a room or answer a question or two for the inspectors. Now, it's my butt and licsence on the line.
WHAT THE HELL DID I GET MYSELF INTO?
I wish I knew. All I can say is that the stress at work has ebbed a bit, at least we aren't worried about them coming back until next year. But now the corrections have to be made and work around them.
Sigh. At least they were plesant!

No comments: