Wednesday, July 23, 2008

7 or 17?!

It's almost 8 pm here and Emily just fell asleep. It's been a rough hour and a rough couple of days. I'm sorry I haven't been posting, but the time I get home and get dinner ready, Emily contented, read a bit, I'm wiped and the last thing I want to do is type away. So I'll hit the highlights.
Last Thursday, my Aunt Peg came up from Jeresy to spend a few days. It was great to see her and Emily loves her very much. We went on a river cruise that was a fund raiser for the mayor of our small city. It was fun and Brian and I were almost as popular as Dad and Granfather, the ex judge. My aunt and our friends I think were impressed. I got some great shots of Emily. I'm going to try and add them to the blog.
We finally got to shoot off our fireworks the other night at our friends house. It was cool.
But, Emily has decided that mud is fun. She'll take water out of the pool, make mud and coat herself in it. She was so bad the other night we had to turn the hose on her before we let her into the house to get in the shower. She was covered, head to toe in clay mud!
But the best thing is that she has taken to slamming doors and screaching at the top of her lungs like a teenager. Poor Grandfather got a earful of it the other night when he called and she was in the middle of one of her rants about me being the worset, meanest and horriblist mothers, because I told her it was bed time. I had to hang up and deal with the slamming of the doors and yelling.
Tonight, Emily was in her room watching a movie. She couldn't be outside and it was raining. Emily doesn't do well when she can't swing on her swing. So, she was in her room with a frozen fruit and syrup thingie that she loves. When it was time to get her settled down in her room for the night, I found her dvd player covered in the sticky syrup. Not only outside but the inside too. I yelled, I spanked, she freaked and went to see what Daddy was going to do. Nothing. It took her an hour to calm down, speak where we could understand her ( everything prior was sobs and incomprehensible) and fall asleep cuddled up to my side. For the first time since 7, she was the sweet little girl I love very much.
But, my mother, oh, my mother, who always wished I would have a child just like me is grinning ear to ear. I know she wanted me to have a child like me, because she reminded me of it for a long time and still does now and again. Well, Emily is just like me. Slamming doors. Yelling. Going to Daddy when Mommy is mean.
But the slamming of doors and all the other stuff, I figured I had 7 or more years! Not now. I just want my cute little girl back.

1 comment:

hangel said...

My mother's favorite phrase is, "Payback's a bitch"

Gotta love the sympathy, right?