Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Now what?

It's been a very long week and it's only Wednesday. Let me tell you what's been going on, not in any logical order. (please forgive me. I'm emotionally tired)
1) We got a phone call from Brian's parents tonight. They have a couple they have been friends with for eons. They had three children, the youngest is one of Brian's younger sister's dearest friends and the oldest seriously dated Brian's older sister for year. The oldest was killed in a nasty motorcycle verus auto accident last night. He never made it to the hospital. A 17 year old kid cross the double yellow and killed him and his friend who were out enjoying a summer day on their bikes. Tragic. 41. I didn't know him and Brian hadn't seen him in years. But, Brian's parents, his two sisters, their spouses and children and Brian's brother in laws parents are all going away Saturday to Cape Cod for a week. If the wake and or funeral happens after Saturday night, Mom and Dad would like and I to go to represent the family. That's a no brainer. We'll be there anyway. I don't really care for the mother, and the father is a lovely man. It's just so sad.

2) Emily started with a new sitter last week. Everything there has been going well. She lives on this narrow street, on toop of a hill. Yesterday the Tranportation department of the school district called and told me that they will not be picking Em up at the house. Someone needs to have her at the bottom of the hill. The sitter can't do this, as she watches 3 other children, two of which are infants. Brian and I are both at work by then. It's all because the bus driver says the hill is too steep and he can't turn the bus around. So, I'm fighting them. I've called everyone I know at the District, trying to cash in favors, I've called the fire department to find out if it's a problem (they told me that they use that street to train the fighters on the hook and ladder truck) and I called Department of Public Works who get a garbage truck up there weekly and a plow in the winter. If they don't pick up Em at the door, she misses out on her summer education and it becomes an issue with the state for failure to comply with her education plan. The School District screwed up and they won't admit it. I've emailed every one on the school board for help and I've even tried using some pull that Dad has with the mayor to lean on them. It's just stressful to try and do this from work, since the school district closes up at 3 for the summer and I work until 3:30. I'm waiting to see what happens tomorrow. Oh! I still have to pay the sitter, even though Em is not going there right now while we figure this out. Plus Brian or I have to take time off of work to get this settled. The school district went as far as telling me to find a new sitter! I explained that I found this one after 8 weeks of looking. No one wants to take a child with a seizure precaution.

3) My bosses have been having some staffing problems. So instead of getting rid of the problems, they have been moving people around. Now they want me to stagger one day a week. They tell me this in a note this morning. For tomorrow. I was livid. I have dinner plans with Brian's parents tomorrow night, because they are supposed to leave Saturday. We want to see them before they leave. ANd I need more than one days notice with the sitter. Brian will have to pick her up and it's going to cost me. Because Em is only there for 2 hours a day, we pay by the hour. Now, I will have to pay her more once a week to accomidate one whiney staff member. Plus, since they have switched around schedules, I am running around every morning, getting 15 people up, showered, dressed, feed, medicated and everything else with only the help of the two owners. They are not certified to work on the patients, aren't really that confident or skilled with the medications and well... they can pour a mean cup of coffee.

4) Emily had been seeing a neurologist in Albany. I am still waiting for a return call from a fax I had sent over 4 weeks ago. I had to find out from a friend who works for our GP that some labs we had been waiting for that were drawn when she went into the hospital the last time were back and normal. Thank God she faxed them to me for my filing cabinet of information on Emily.

5) The upside is Emily has the same teacher this summer as she did last summer. And most of her class from this last year are with her again. And she FINALLY got her one to one aide. I've been fighting for this for a long time and we are finally on track with this.

Now, if I could ask any one who reads this blog, would you please send Em an email to my aol account. She has become obsessed with the computer and being online. I want to show her that there is more than looking up Sprout PBS Kids online and watching the same Tinkerbell and Princess trailers over and over and over and over again. We will type a respose together.
Thanks!

2 comments:

Jenae C. said...

I would love to send Emily an email...send me your email and I will send her something!!!

Blade said...

I don't have your email either .. so if you send it to me I will send her something.

Can send it to bladestone@gmail.com