Thursday, October 23, 2008

When will it ever stop??!!

I have been so busy lately, I haven't had time to check my e mail, let alone blog.
So, let me catch you all up on what has been going on here.
Last weekend we went camping. The first and last time in our camper for the season. It was fun. That Saturday night, we were to go to Brian's older sister's house for a party for my in-law's 40th wedding anniversery. So, let me tell you about the cake. There is this fancy grocery, garden center, florist thing in the area. There are three of them. We were supposed to bring the cake. So, I ordered the cake from the closet place to the campground. We went down there to pick up the cake. I walked in the store and proceeded to walk into a pile of vomit on the floor. It was after I stepped in it that the store person told me that I needed to watch where I was walking as some kid puked. Yuck!
I walk over the bakery and ask for my cake. She takes forever to find it and brings it out. She shows it to me and I look at it. It's a quarter sheet cake and a rectangle. But the right side was perfect. The left.... well, the cake slanted to the left and to the back. From the right to the left there was over a 1/2 inch difference. Then the back corner was a hole. An accutal hole that they tried to cover up with icing. I told the girl it wasn't square. She looked at me, confused, looked at the cake and back at me, confused. She told me the cake looked fine to her.
Then I asked to talk to the manager. She comes out, with an attitude, and asks me what's wrong. I said, "The cake isn't square. It's horrible. How can you sell something like this?"
Manager B@#$^ch: It's not supposed to be square. It's supposed to be a rectangle."
Me: "Not the shape. Look at it."
She looks at it.
Me: "Now turn it."
She turns it.
Manager: It's fine.
Me: It's not fine. It's not level. It's horrible. Look at the hole!
Man next to me: I'm a guy and I can tell that the cake is bad... you should fix it.
Manager B : Well... I guess we could make you a new one. Someone didn't fill the cake correctly and it colapsed.
Me: Number one, I don't have time to wait for you to fix the cake, number two, how did this cake pass inspection in the first place, number three, if it wasn't for the fact I was going to a special event with this cake, I wouldn't care. Cake is cake. But, now, I'm going to look like an ass thanks to the fact you are hiring the blind to work in your bakery. How much are you going to take off the price for your mistake?
Manager: 10%.
That worked out to $2.50. Pathetic. But this story isn't done. I went to the garden center to pay. The woman at the registar tells me that she is not allowed to let me pay for food at the garden center. I asked her where the sign was that stated that. She was flustered and I paid for the cake.
So, we are having a nice time at Brian's sisters. Then the phone rings, just as we are pulling dinner out of the oven. The caller ID shows it to be a cousin that we don't call much. Not a good sign.
Brian's father is the youngest of five children. Elizabeth, Phillip, Patrick, Brian and George. Phil has been in the hospital, in ICU on a vent. We didn't know much more. At six o'clock Sat night, they were giving him hours. He died at midnight.
So, the wake was Tuesday, in Clark, NJ, where he lived. That's down central Jersey, south of Newark. About 110 miles from here. Brian, myself and his sisters left at dinner time, drove down, stayed a bit more than an hour and drove back. We got home around 11 that night. About 6 hours start to finish.
Then.... I know... sound like it never stops, right? But anyway, Em had stayed with my parents that night and Mom's office is just past my house. It's right on the way. So, she dropped Em off the next morning on her way to work. Em's got a lovely cold.
I've had enough. When the hell do I get a break? Needless to say, while I work yesterday, I was tired and just the littlest things the staff did, that I normally ignore sent me on a write up and yelling spree. By the end of the day, I had made two people cry. I didn't care. I still don't. Are people in this world just that stupid that they can't carry out the simplest tasks?
If you want to be in health care, and take care of people, you had best be steppping up to the plate and take care of them. If not, McDonald's is always looking...

No comments: