Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Historic Events and being a mom

I can vaguly recall the past presidental inogurations in my lifetime. I remember Regean, Bush, Clinton and Bush. But I can't remember ever sitting down and really watching them. Why is this one so different?
I don't remember ever discussing any of the elections in school as a child. Emily on the other hand is fully aware of who Barack Obama is. She knew that he was going to be the next president. No clue who Bush was, but BO? Yup.
Is this because the man is of a different race than the other 43 presidents? Is it because he's a bit more relatable as the father of a girl Em's age? Is it something the young staff at her school wanted to involve the children in? I don't know and I don't know that it matters.
Brian and I were in the city at the moment that the swearing in was happening. The radiologist's office set up a computer monitor and was streaming the feed live from DC. But it was the older woman from the Washington DC area in the waiting room that really struck me to heart.
I will paraphrase what she said.
She stated that she hoped that the President Obama will live up to what the American people expect from him. She said at best she hoped that he was a mediocre presdient. Yes it would be nice and wonderful for him to be a very successful but she didn't think it was going to happen.
She went on to state that all the talk around her circle of friends in DC is how wonderful it is to have an African American man in the White House. But how could one single man, no matter the color of his skin live up to the expections that so many Americans, of all races, creeds and beliefs, put upon him.
I thought about this for a while and I happen to agree. I wish President Obama all the luck in the world. He has a hard job ahead of him. Any harder than any other president? I'm not sure. Each president has so much to deal with, from war to bad economies to other issues, that I don't know if you can single one out as having a rougher time than another. Some might have had a bit of an easier time, but come on. This is one of the most powerful men in the world.
Good luck Mr. Obama and godspeed in your endevors.

No comments: