Sunday, December 7, 2008

Hospital.......again

Brian's father is a sick man. He's been in and out of the hospital in the 13 years I have known him an average of every 6 months. In the last five years it's been worse. Closer to every 3 months. He was admitted on Wednesday for severe abdominal pain and vomiting. They decided it was time for Dialysis. It was something that has been pending for sometime now and it was finally time. His kidneys are finished. But they had yet to discuss or figure out what was wrong with his stomach.
This morning he was doing better. He was feeling well, the doctor had been in to see him around 8 and then the nurse saw him at 8:15. Brian and I were sitting on the couch, eating bagels and getting ready to take Em to Sunday school. The phone rang and it was Brian's mother. I handed him the phone and he answered it. His face dropped instantly and he was up and pulling his coat on before he hung up the phone. He told me that his father was un responsive and as we live less than a mile from the hospital, he was the closest to run up there.
I was pulling on my coat, having just hung up my phone with my mother to have her pick up Em after Sunday School, when his sister called. She was in tears, sure that this was the end.
Long day short, all we do know is that George fell on the floor. He was found face down on the floor in his room, unresponsive. They did CPR and intibated him. The doctor told Brian and I what had happened and that he had 2 seizures.
He was in the ICU for most of the day and not doing well. They did a CT of his head and abdomen. THe head was clean, but the belly....
George has a AAA. It's leaking. They sent him to ALbany Med, as they can't do anything about it here in town. So, Brian is up there with his mother.
I don't know anything more.
As Kathleen got to the hospital this morning, she pulls me aside and tells me that she has something else to tell the kids, but doesn't know if she should. She tells me that George's older, the next oldest to George died last night. I told her that she needed to tell the kids, that they needed to know. She finally agreed.
Mom had Em today. She and I talked about the need to start to prepare Em that George might die. She came up with the best.
"Every person has an angel inside them. When they are very sick, God sends an angel from heaven to see if the doctor's need help. But sometimes, God sends an angel to bring the angel's in your body home to heaven. Then we put the body that they lived in, in a box like a treasure and place it somewhere special."
It killed me.
Keep George in your prayers, please.

2 comments:

hangel said...

Wow, Jenn. If it isn't one thing it's another. George and the whole family are in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted.

Jenae C. said...

I hope you are holding up alright! I am sorry to hear your news, your family is in our thoughts and prayers. I love what your mom said about the angels to Em, that is beautiful!