Monday, December 29, 2008

I am exhusted

I thought one of the hardest days of my life was Friday when we spent the day at the funeral home picking out the casket, the cards and all the other things that go along with the prepartions to a funeral. It was a lot of tough choices and so many things to think about while you are still reeling from the shock of the death of a loved one.
But today was harder. Tonight was the wake for George and it was fantasic. There were so many faces, people we hadn't seen in years, friends, family and people who knew George through out his many incarnations in the public. The VFW came and did a beautiful tribute, formal and informal, each member of the five or six different posts telling us the different ways that George had touched their lives.
We had friends we had lost touch with come. People that Brian hadn't seen since high school. All but four of his cousins came. Even the ones who had just lost their fathers. (In case I forgot to tell you, George was the youngest of five. The oldest Liz, lives in Jersey and there were three other brothers. We lost one brother in October and the other just a short 3 weeks ago).
I was truly touched to see Brian's friends from work, a couple that a good friends of my father's and our friends who drove up from Long Island to be with us. Brian's French Candian brother in law, some of his family is even here.
But Emily, oh my little Emily is growing up. She has had a great handle on what has happened. And she told us she wanted to see Pop-pops one last time. Last night, she and I were sitting talking about the funeral home and what she wanted to do. If she wanted to go or not. As of last night she didn't.
This evening, she was with my parents and started talking about seeing George one last time. My parents brought her. There was no one there. They brought her up, she saw George, blew him a kiss and told him good bye. It broke my heart.
There is another part of this story, but as my head is killing me, I have a houseful of our friends who are here to be with Brian, I'm going to go.

4 comments:

K said...

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. It is so hard to lose someone you love. I'm not surprised that Emily wanted to see him one more time. She's a great little girl.

Jenae C. said...

I am so sorry to hear such bad news for you. I am sorry for your loss. Sending some hugs your way.

flyingace said...

Emily seems to be really growing up. We are thinking of you all. Miss you guys.

hangel said...

Funerals are so hard. A celebration of life and a mourning of death.

Emily's maturity is amazing--as well as your parenting.

Thoughts and love with you!