Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Emily came to work.

We had hired a new sitter and she started yesterday. However, she has had a family tragedy. Her 16 year old neice was dropped off at work, in the parking lot and never made it inside. No one has seen her since. Okay, it could be a boyfriend but there is still the possiblity of abduction. So, the sitter closed today. So, Brian, having the more flexible job, stayed home with Em today.
Brian also had the second of his tests today. So, the deal was this.
1) I programed the stove this morning. It's a great feature that I can set the timer to turn the oven onto a predetermined temp at a certain time and it will turn its self off after how ever long I set it.
2) Brian and Emily needed to go to the grocery store. Better him than me.
3) Brian needed to get the chicken ready for dinner and put it in oven before he left.
4) Bring Emily to me at work so that he could go to his test.
So all this went well, but my day was non stop. It often is anymore and it's getting so bad, I'm not getting enough stuff done in one week let alone a day. So, when Em got there we were wrapping up a few meetings that were using our space, I had the oxygen company there for a resident who is in the hospital and coming back on Hospice, dealing with a medication pass, residents who need attention, a cranky husband, a cranky boss, a cranky chef (notice the pattern that all the men in my day where being cranky?), staff that wanted to complain about things and Emily.
God, love Emily. She's very social at my office, often chatting up with the residents, a few of them absolutly loving to talk to her.
My boss was fine and very understanding about Em needing to be with me at work today. That wasn't a problem. My biggest problem was that Emily wanted to sit and talk to all the staff and we had so much going on. I left her at my desk with her movie that Brian brought in my computer. But here's the thing. I tol my boss who was at his desk behind mine, that if she needed me where I was going to be. But at the same time, I don't feel that it's right to ask your boss, your co workers or anyone else at work to watch your child when you are the one with the day care problem. I wouldn't accept it as behavior if any of my employee's bring in their children for a short time and expect me to watch them so they could work.
That's one of the great things about my job however. If there is an emergency, something happens, they aren't really anal about you bringing in your children for a short time. I mean all day is something else, but for an hour or something is okay. As long as you can still work. And Em is old enough to keep herself mostly occupied.
I'm just ranting I guess and I'm sorry you all had to read it, if you are indeed still reading. I'm just so stressed I don't know what to do.
Work is getting really really busy and my head is so filled with other things going on, I am only giving about 80%.
Then there is Brian and Emily and worrying about what is going to happen in the coming weeks.
The family is calling almost daily. And I understand why they are. But at the same time, it's getting to the point where I don't even want to look at the phone any more. There are times that we just want a quiet night at home with my husband and daughter.
But Em is so lost without school. I can't wait for her routine to start again. Thank God it's only next week.
Good. Now my day is complete. Emily is mad at me. I won't go downstairs and get her strawberries for a second bedtime snack. Since she's been with me she has had to eat:
watermelon, strawberries, tomatoes, 4 pieces of gum, chicken, potatoes, peas, an apple, cookies. Plus, I know Daddy gave her a happy meal for lunch. But now she want's more to eat and I said no. Therefore, I am:
MEAN!
Oh well.

2 comments:

hangel said...

How does Emily stay so freakin skinny and eat all that? I wish I had that problem!

I wish I could help you de-stress or do something for you that would help you out. Sorry I am so far away...if there is anything--call!

Jenae C. said...

Me too, I am only a phone call away, call if you need anything at all...we love you! Get yourself a glass of wine, some bubble bath, and hang a "do not disturb" sign on the bathroom door, just relax....