Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The other shoe just dropped.

Two or three days ago, Brian's father was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Okay. That was hard. But today was harder.
Brian called me around lunch time to tell me that he was peeing blood. So, we went to the ER thinking he either had a UTI or a kidney stone. They ran some tests. No, UTI, just blood in the urine. The blood work came back normal. So they did a CT of the renal area.
They found a mass about 8 cm (a bit bigger than a golf ball). It's sitting near or on, the right kidney causing the bleeding. But, here's the kicker. It's showing up on the CT as lymphanona, a type of cancer.
He's at the hospital right now, and I am home. Em's at my parents. We are meeting with the oncologist tomorrow to see if it is really cancer and what the next step is.
I spoke to the doctor on call this evening and he told me that the follow up scans they did tonight show a) Brian does have a brain in his head, contrary to popular belief, b) that there seems to be no other masses or problems to be concerned with.
So, now we wait. Then we should know what the next step is.
I'll keep you all informed, but you all have my numbers.

1 comment:

Blade said...

I hope the news is good when you find out whats going on. Call me if you need to talk or anything.

<3 ya.